|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Drake and Josh Wiki (view authors).|
|Season 2, Episode 1|
|Airdate||March 14, 2004|
|Written by||George Doty IV|
|Directed by||Steve Hoefer|
The Bet is the first episode of the second season of Drake & Josh. It aired on March 14, 2004.
After the boys forget to pick up Megan at her friend's house, Audrey tells them that Drake has an addiction to junk food and Josh has an addiction to video games. They both make a bet to see who can live without their addictions; the loser must dye his hair pink. Drake ends up getting a hideous facial rash from not eating junk food.
Josh gets the new GameSphere from Grammy but is unable to play due to the bet. Eventually, they both lose the bet so they both had to dye their hair pink. Since their mom and dad bet on each of them as well, they had to dye their hair pink too, much to Megan's delight. However, in the end Drake was wearing a wig.
- If you look carefully, Josh is the one who caves first. Drake's part of the bet was to not eat any junk food, and he didn't, he only stuffed them into his mouth, while Josh was clearly playing the GameSphere.
- GameSphere is a parody of the real life game system, Nintendo Gamecube.
- At the start, Josh was using a PlayStation 2 controller to play his game, also after that he had a red GameBoy Advance SP.
- The wireless controller Drake had while playing the GameSphere resembled a Nintendo 64 controller.
- Josh says "Die red turtle shell!" when he is playing his game and in a later shot, Drake says "jump the mushroom". This is obviously a reference to Super Mario Bros.
- This will be the first time Drake and Josh make a bet. The second will be Who's Got Game.
- Audrey could have gotten out of the bet because the bet says that the loser must dye HIS hair pink.
- This is the first episode in which Drake doesn't have spiky hair.
- Drake and Josh bet that they can go longer without their particular pleasure than the other can. Drake's pleasure is junk food and after a certain point, at the suggestion of Megan, Josh tries to tempt Drake into giving into his junk food addiction by turning their bedroom into a candy paradise complete with a chocolate milk swimming pool. Josh even wears a brown top hat similar to the one Gene Wilder wears in the 1971 version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- This is the first episode directed by Steve Hoefer.
- At the end of the contracts that are signed, it was said that the loser must dye their hair pink, but due to a page turn, the part that says "their hair pink" isn't read, and it's confused with "The loser must die." However, the word "dye" and "die" are spelled differently, and it should have easily been told differently.
- When Megan comes into the house after getting soaked in rain, you clearly see that it is a sunny day behind her and water was just falling in front of the house.
- When Drake first comes into Science class, he is covering his face with a light brown book. However, when Josh says "I'm pressing it!", the book is black. Then, when the science teacher shows everyone the eyeball, it is light brown again.