"As winner of the speed texting competition, Butler and I will also get an invitation to meet the Vice President near the White House."
|Season 1, Episode 5|
|Airdate||July 13, 2013|
|Written by|| Dan Schneider |
Christopher J. Nowak
|Directed by||Russ Reinsel|
#TextingCompetition is the 5th episode of the first season of Sam & Cat. It aired on July 13, 2013.
Sam and Cat babysit a kid named Butler Torso, a texting competition champion. After Sam teaches him a texting trick called the "thumb roll", Cat later on makes Butler practice texting words Cat says along with Sam. They discover Sam is a fast texter as well and Cat convinces her to enter the texting competition with Butler. Butler's mom, Mrs. Torso, arrives at the house, asking Sam and Cat if they made Butler practice texting. Butler than tells his mom that Sam is as fast as her and might enter the competition. She gets mad and tells him to go outside and sit on her bike. Mrs. Torso then tells Sam not to enter the competition and distract Butler.
Sam and Cat then go with Dice to the Speed Texting Championship area to sign Sam up. Dice then sees his old friend, BJ Malloy, at the competition. He asks Sam and Cat to help hide from him, but Sam decides to show BJ that Dice is there. BJ is always eating eggs and always echos everything a person says. It is quite evident that Dice loathes him since he was annoyed with BJ. After all the contenders texting, the host announces that Sam will be competing with Butler in the finals.
Before the finals, Dice tells BJ that Sam and Cat went to go eat some corn dogs, which made them very drowsy, resulting in them sleeping in some room in the Speed Texting Championship building. BJ then tells Dice that that's why he eats eggs. To shut BJ up, Dice tells him that eating eggs gives you butt warts.
Later, Mrs. Torso goes to the room Sam and Cat are sleeping in, and glues Sam's hand to Cat's foot with industrial strength Grizzly Glue, to prevent her from texting so she could make Butler win the competition and meet the vice president of the United States. Sam and Cat wake up and go to the texting competition area, and Sam then has to text one-handed with the other hand still stuck on Cat's foot. Then, when Sam and Cat went to the studio, the hoster said that she can't compete with her hand glued and she had to forfeit! But, Sam said that she was going to compete with one hand; they were forced to check even the rules to confirm that she could compete. During the competition, Butler purposely drops his phone to get back at his mother for gluing Sam's hand to Cat's foot. Butler makes it second place, and wins the second prize, which is a bike which he wanted, and bikes away with freedom from his mother. Sam and Cat ask for their speedboat, which turns out to be a toy. In the end, Sam and Cat are in their apartment, trying doing the list of things Cat wanted to do earlier (minus looking for SpongeBob's pineapple). Sam then says it isn't fun, with Cat saying it is. Then the Vice President calls them again, with Sam telling Cat to ignore it.
- Jack De Sena (from All That and Avatar: The Last Airbender) appeared as one of the judges.
- This is the first episode of the series to not feature Nona or the Elderly Acres. This is also the first episode which doesn't mention Cat going to or coming back from school.
- Cat mentioned Jerry Trainor, who portrayed Spencer in iCarly and Crazy Steve in Drake & Josh in the credits because he was calling again.
- A scene was taken out. It can be seen here.
- This is the second episode where Cat did not say "Ding dong" when the door rang, the first was #Pilot. Instead of "Ding dong" or "Boop" she said "Hop."
- This is the second time that someone called Cat dumb in this series. The first time was Sam in #TheBritBrats, except then she called Cat and Dice dumb.
- Some of the things Cat wanted to do on boat were: Wear boat hats, make friends with a dolphin, find SpongeBob's pineapple, and go water sledding.
- The texting competition was sponsored by Sampong (a parody of Samsung) and TEKMATE, as previously seen in the Zoey 101 episode, "Spring Break Up".
- The podiums behind Sam and Butler in the finals are re-used from the Victorious episode, Brain Squeezers.
- The "unedited version" of this episode aired January 7, 2014 at 7 A.M. (EST) as part of the "Wake Up With Sam & Cat" week on Nickelodeon.
- The music heard during the alternate ending is "The Stars and Stripes Forever".
- It was also heard in the Zoey 101 episode "Silver Hammer Society".
- The way how Sam and Cat got unglued to each other is unknown.